Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Imax, Inception & Brief Inspiration

Today I saw Inception, and it was actually my first experience with Imax - I was absolutely impressed. I think the volume was a bit loud, but other than that I was wowed by the gigantic, perforated screen with mega surround sound and all that jazz.

The movie was great, probably one of the top 3 action movies I've ever seen. I couldn't get over how intricate the screenplay was, and as I was watching I was also hoping that I too, one day, could compose something as flawless as this. As we exited the theatre, Chris and I discussed our takes on the events and the ending. I couldn't stop commenting on how much I enjoyed the movie and I was just really excited about it. This doesn't usually happen, actually ever. Normally I don't have too much to say about movies, but today I was spewing. Inception was cinematic genius.

AND THEN when I got home, someone else wanted to discuss the movie, and consequently the ending. The discussion turned into what I felt was an unwelcome debate, and at first I tried to entertain his notions but eventually they began to undermine my own. Now I don't know if I even understand the movie. Even though I still feel strongly about my interpretation, I'm not excited about the movie at all - I'm simply frustrated.

Maybe it's because I don't like feeling unsure of things, maybe it's because I just wanted to enjoy the movie for what it was. Now the joy has been sucked away by analysis and imposing theories. I feel like whatever inspiration that such a great movie had brought has been slammed, and I won't feel that way again for a long time. Obviously, I appreciate movies in a different way than others - at face value. Tearing things to pieces brings me no joy.

1 comment:

  1. I just watched Inception this weekend and im glad this post had no spoilers. (thankyou) I had quite the fair share of analysis and arguments after the movie as well, and I think Christopher Nolan did the ending like that on purpose just to cause conflicts amongst friends haha.

    Ellen Page rocks, JGL rocks, Leo rocks, and Marion oozes sexy.

    ReplyDelete