Monday, April 2, 2012

The Hunger Games: Book vs. Movie

Overall, I think that this motion picture was well done.

I can see where people were disappointed about the movie skipping certain parts and not developing the characters enough, but there's no way that the producers could fit everything in a reel that's less than three hours. I honestly feel that every moment they chose to show in the movie was absolutely necessary, and adding more to it could have made it too lengthy for one sitting.

That being said, I can't believe that they changed the origin of the mockingjay token. For a theme so deeply embedded in this series, it doesn't make any sense to alter the backstory of the pin. In the text, the pin is a symbol of friendship and respect - something rare in the life of the protagonist. The pin also will later bring up references to a past tribute and mean significantly more to the struggle for humanity and decency. So why cut this vital detail out? They might have saved maybe two, three minutes? There were other details that were changed for the sake of efficiency and simplicity (which were understandable), but the mockingjay pin's origin is one that I cannot and will not forgive.

I also realized today, that the characters that I had developed in my imagination were all White. I was actually taken aback when Rue and Thresh were black actors in the movie. I can see how it makes sense from a casting standpoint, but I didn't realize until now how much the media's tendency to rely on White actors has affected my subconscious.

And on a final note, I must say that Gale could not have been dreamier. Swoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment