Monday, April 30, 2012

Water for Elephants

In light of my recent Amazon Prime subscription, I've decided to read one book per month in order to fully utilize my lending privileges. The first book I read was the second book of the Hunger Games trilogy. As I mentioned in my previous posts, I was very happy with the Hunger Games. And so my second choice? Water for Elephants! 'Twas another fine choice indeed. I saw the commercial for the movie, and I thought -- WHAT! A MOVIE ABOUT CIRCUS PEOPLE! I was immediately intrigued. You see, I've never been to a circus. The closest thing is probably seeing the Cirque du Soliel shows in Vegas, but I'm sure that's much more upscale than what you'd see when visiting the traveling circus. And then because I'm deathly afraid of dirty people (and places), I will probably never be able to sit through a grimy road circus show. But this book was like being there. I was on the train, in the big top, and running through the lives of so many different characters within the hierarchy of circus people. There's a community, a culture, and an oddly captivating environment surrounding the characters in the novel, and the author did a fantastic job portraying them in a way that SUCKS that reader in. This weekend, I was part of a circus.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for reading! I'm reading right now too (shocking for me because I've never been a reader), and I think you have made a very awesome decision by reading a book per month. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete