Wednesday, August 31, 2011

San Juan Islands - Back to Basics

An expected break from city life had never been so, well, unexpected. This past weekend, we were supposed to go to Chelan for JR's birthday - a big house on the lake with four master bedrooms, that I was REALLY looking forward to. But instead, we ended up going camping in the San Juan Islands! I haven't gone camping since... I was 12 or 13? But I had already confirmed for the weekend, so whereever it took me I thought I was prepared to go.

Victor and I left Seattle immediately after work Friday and started driving out to Anacortes to catch the car ferry. The car-what?! Yeah, that's what I said! What the heck is a car ferry! Anyway, it was gorgeous because we were sailing along the horizon during sunset. And my GOODNESS it was cold! So thankful I brought a jacket, and it really was an afterthought - sadly. When we got to the island, the others met us up at the dock and we headed to the campsite. It was campsite G6. LOL. The fire was already going and there was chicken on the grill. Just what I needed! We set up our tents and joined in on the drinking! It was already around 11 by the time we settled down and we spent the rest of the night sitting around the fire. It was really really nice and relaxing.

Saturday morning we woke up to BEES GALORE. Oh goodness gracious, there were SO many bees. I HATE bees. Very stressful during the day indeed! We went into town to check out the scene - it was a quaint little downtown area with mostly restaurants and boutique shops. We grabbed some coffee, others got ice cream, we bought a few essentials (like batteries for the boombox - d'oh!) and headed back to the campground. I was in the girls car, and we ended up getting distracted on the way back. We passed by a farm with a CAMEL and a LLAMA!! We stopped by the side of the road and lured the animals over to the fence to take pictures of them. SO COOL. We decided to explore more, and we found a park full of metal art pieces, vw bug themed carts for rent, a private airport, and some gorgeous backroads. About an hour later we were back at camp, joining in on the drinking again.

Saturday night was more sitting around the fire, napping, drinking, playing F* the dealer and king's cup, and eating! The whole weekend is kind of a blur in retrospect, but I especially rememeber being all stressed out during the day by the bees, and then feeling SO relaxed at night when the bees had all gone to sleep. :) Sunday night everyone was exhausted and people were dropping like flies. I think by midnight half of us had gone to sleep and the rest stayed up to talk around the fire. I was one of the former, LOL. Saturday night was colder than Friday night, but luckily I had a warm sleeping bag! Overall I was very comfy, I should probably give my inflated mattress pad tons of credit. The only annoying thing was that through the night on Saturday night I was sliding down the slope that the tent was on so I woke up with my face in the corner of the tent. HAHAHA.

Sunday morning we woke up and ate breakfast, corned beef hash YUMMAY! Kristine went to the lodge for something in the morning, and happened to ask a lady about the ferry. This lady told her that we'd need to be at the ferry 2.5+ hours in advance to get into the queue. When she told us that we started packing up and getting ready to go! In less than two hours we had said our goodbyes to the people staying the extra day, and we were back in town wandering around. We went to this hot sauce specialty store where they had amassed all sorts and types of spicy hot condiments! Victor and I also explored small shops that had trinkets and cards, some of the stuff was pretty cool. We had lunch at the crabhouse restaurant and the crabcakes weren't that great. The popcorn shrimp was pretty good though! The ferry ride back was absolutely gorgeous! The sun was gleaming and it was the perfect end to a calming weekend.

Aside from the bees I had a really great time. There were a lot of funny moments and it was nice to hang out with people without technology. To actually interact without tv, cell phones, internet, etc - such a concept. Just getting down to the basics and enjoying booze, food cooked among friends, and genuine people.

No comments:

Post a Comment