Saturday, January 3, 2015

Home for the holidays part 2

Friday was another day of catching up and reminiscing. My brother and I had lunch with dad at Doobu, our default spot, and I finally remembered to take photos of and with them! We chatted about life, work, Seattle, and it was great. My dad seems as lively as ever and my brother also seemed to be in a really good mood. I didn't want our lunch to end!
When I got home, I cleaned out my closets and threw away things. I found my photo box and there were some REAL GEMS in there. I also found my journal, which I skimmed through, and was so embarrassed by the way I thought. I was SO DRAMATIC. I threw it away. I'm not necessarily ashamed of who I was before, but I like my adult self so much better now. I don't know if I'll ever regret dumping my journal but I honestly wouldn't want anyone else to ever know my deepest thoughts at my most vulnerable times. In fact, it was almost painful to read about my weak moments.
I brought Saori and Manu over to Alex's briefly before dinner and we all played 1-4-24! I've totally got the hang of the game now and it's so fun! For dinner, I met with Albert and got to try Suzu in the mall. The service was disappointing but the spicy shio ramen was good. Albert is the one person that I thought would never change. We were best friends for so many years that I thought he would be the one that I would return to year after year and find that we could pick up exactly as we left off. Obviously that isn't realistic, but I don't think I was prepared. He says he's finally found direction in life, which is fantastic!! But he also seemed almost defeated to me. In the time that we ate and chatted I probably didn't get a thorough read, but I do truly wish him the best and I feel sad that I haven't made enough of an effort to keep in touch with him since I've moved. I will do better now, for sure.
Saturday morning I had an early brunch at Elite Cafe with Christine, Anna, and Lisa! I remember how fun and goofy and awesome they were in high school... and I'm so glad that they are still all of those things and more. Anna and Lisa are all about the married life and I'm so happy for them, they deserve to have only the best! Christine is more in the same place as me... in a relationship, still living away from "home" and undecided on a future timeline. I'm really looking forward to hanging out with them next trip home, and I would love love love to visit Christine!
I got a manicure after brunch, and they had Chanel polishes (ooh la la!). I didn't know they existed, but I got a gorgeous light olive shade. The chair where I sat to dry my nails was facing the street, and the salon was in Pac Heights, where I grew up! I watched a family supervise young children playing on the sidewalk, while cars tried to park and others tried to drive past. I watched the mail woman and FedEx delivery trucks make their stops. I saw an Asian guy my age, wearing a new era hat, driving a new s4, double parked in front of the fancy barber shop across the street to chat with his friend. It was the perfect place to people watch. And I thought about how lucky I was to grow up there, in a safe yet bustling neighborhood where so much happens. I used to walk down those streets with my parents on the weekend. I used to draw on the sidewalk with chalk in the summers!
I watched the Sharks game at Alex's that evening and we ordered dinner from Palmyra. We talked about growing up, our futures, work, and all kinds of catching up. After the game, we watched Robocroc and Bait. It was clearly bad movie marathon night on the Syfy channel.. and we were hooked! Before I moved away, we used to hang out and watch games and movies all of the time. Totes miss that!
On Sunday, Charles accompanied me to Cindy's wedding, and it was totally a high school reunion. At first, because it was a vineyard in Pleasanton, we weren't sure what to expect. But the venue was gorgeous, almost as gorgeous as the bride! I got to meet baby Addie, and catch up with many friends I haven't seen in a decade. I couldn't ask for a better night. I am so, so happy for Cindy and I loved every second of her celebration. I even caught up with Alan, who was working the photo booth! How wonderful! To top it off, the food was even delicious and the bartenders were awesome. Dancing at the end of the reception was amazing, of course! Derek, Mike, and I did a hand holding twirling routine and tore it up on the dance floor!

No comments:

Post a Comment