Monday, March 26, 2012

The Inkblot (Rorschach) Test

This is the test we see on TV, in movies, and hear about in passing. This is also one of those things that piques your interest, but you forget about shortly after and never look into.

On Friday, I got the opportunity to take the inkblot test with a psych student. And what did I learn from her? Not much. She told me she'd need to run tests to find the results. But what I learned from MYSELF was startling.

I was freaking out. Like, I was trying to figure out what it was that I "saw" in the images, but knowing that there's no correct answer is a completely new way of thought processing for me. Everytime I gave her an answer, I found myself trying to read her - to see if her responses indicated whether I had a common response, or an uncommon one.

I found myself trying to read the test administrator who was trying to read me. I also began to second-guess myself, wondering if I was approaching the test in the right way. Cursing myself for not asking more questions in the beginning before the test began. Crawling with nerves. The inkblot test experience has shown me that I am overly obsessed with being right, doing things correctly, and gauging how others perceive me. WOW. If I'm so preoccupied with these things, what am I missing out on? Maybe I do need a psychologist!

No comments:

Post a Comment