Saturday, July 18, 2015

Forrest and Mandy do Rachel Lake Trail

Unlike our regular (and local) 4-mile hikes, Rachel Lake is an "intermediate" rated 8+ mile hike just past Snoqualmie Pass. And boy, it sure was challenging.



The first 2 miles were what I was expecting for an "intermediate" hike. We breezed through the first half of the incline, with our group of 10, and only stopped twice for photos. The second 2 miles of the incline were treacherous and steep! The giant rocks, slippery stream crossings, and intimidating tree roots in constant succession were difficult for me. Although, the others who are actually in shape fared better... of course.



At the end of the ascent, we relaxed at Rachel Lake, which I had assumed would be at the bottom of the mountain. No, it's between 2 mountain peaks! And it's beautiful, with refreshing icy water to dip your tootsies in. It felt SO NICE to get those hiking boots off for a while. During our break, Forrest befriended and cuddled up with a nice man who had a beach towel. These dogs ain't loyal!



After enjoying the scenery, we headed back down the mountain. The first half of the descent was ROUGH. More rough than ascending, methinks! I stepped gingerly through the trail, low and slow, and I was especially careful because Forrest was pulling me downhill. It was stressful scanning between my footing, the high brush whipping my face, and the leash to make sure that Forrest had enough slack or support when he made his own calculated leaps. By the time we got to the second half of the ascent, I was so relieved to not be going downhill anymore. But our exhausted legs still had 2 more miles to go. I felt like it was never going to end. Matt, Forrest, and I finished our 3 bottles of water shortly after we had begun descending. The summer mid-afternoon sun was beating down on us.

This is, by far, the most difficult hike that Forrest has experienced, and toward the end he literally gave up. He normally pulls for the duration of our hikes, and can't contain himself. Today, toward the end, he didn't want to lead anymore. As I was walking, I felt a strong resistance from the leash, and when I turned around Forrest had turned on his side and was being dragged on the gravel. POOR FORREST! After some encouraging words, he was on his feet again to finish the hike. I was elated when we finally reached the parking lot! The first half of the group had finished ~30 minutes before us, and were waiting with the cars running and A/C on full blast. LOL. Matt and I finished about 10 minutes before the last of us.

On the way home, we stopped for refreshing beverages and ended up getting Icees from Burger King for FREE! Best way to end a hike. The dogs were both pooped, and Matt, Chelsie, and I were tired too.. until we got the Icees!

Pretty sure I shouldn't do any more intermediate+ hikes until I start working out regularly. Even though today was fun and challenging, I'm mostly happy that I didn't hurt myself. I must say, though, that the struggle was worth it for the occasion. We had a good group of people, gorgeous weather, and amazing PNW terrain. Can't complain about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment