Thursday, March 17, 2011

Preparing for the worst, or at least something moderately scary

I'll bet anything that at least 70% of the people I know don't have emergency kits. And those that do have kits, probably didn't assemble them. What fools. I used to be one of those dillydallyers - but no longer! Most of the things that I ordered for my emergency kit have already arrived. LOVE AMAZON PRIME!

I ended up spending about $200 to cover the essentials for three kits. Pricey you say? I say I'd spend $200 to give my family a chance to survive ANYDAY. Even IF my brother wasn't willing to chip in for it. Whatever, family is family. Two go-kits for the cars and one more substantial kit for home. I'll be honest though, I put a lot more stuff into my own kit - if disaster strikes I REALLY hope that I'm with Klaus.

Once finalized, all of the kits will have:
Duct tape, medical grade scissors (that can cut through pennies), zip ties
Books of matches, firestarters, hand-crank flashlight/usb chargers (cars), cash$
Hand-crank radio/USBcharger/LED flashlight (home only, since the cars have radios)
Packets of tissue, paper cups, bandages, neosporin, latex gloves, dust masks,
Medicine (Tylenol, Immodium), 3-day supply of food rations, emergency blankets
Paper plates, paper cups, chop sticks, garbage bags, zip lock bags, multitool

My kit has extra thangs:
Handwipes, mirror, emery board, hair ties, hair clips, earplugs, feminine necessities,
Plastic forks, plastic knives, plastic spoons, safety pins, tablet towelettes
Lotion, toothpaste, toothbrush, extra socks/undies/tshirt, hand warmers, beanie
Index cards, two pens, Apple USB charger, USB to mini USB charger, map of SF bay area

I think I've got most of my bases covered! I'll still be thinking about extra things to add over the next few days (while I wait for the dust masks to show up and Alex is getting me duct tape next week) then I'll be satisfied. The coolest items by far are the hand-cranking devices. I got the Eton Clipray and the Eton Microlink Self-Powered 3-in-1, and I am VERY happy with both. Even though some reviewers on Amazon said that they didn't produce enough power to charge smartphones, I tried it on my iPhone 3G and my brother's iPhone 4 and it worked with BOTH! The radio also gets great reception, both are very small and compact. The radio is the size of a desktop tape dispenser. Yeah, it's f'ing impressive.

I'm putting everything in a Jansport and I'll have more than enough room. I hope that I never have to use the kit, but I'm not stupid enough to risk not being prepared. Get ready people, disaster is no joke!

2 comments:

  1. great idea! i gotta do the same for my parent's cars. my car on the other hand... i'll lose half my trunk space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bitchin' car, NERT certified, and prepared for any disaster...MARRY ME !!!

    ReplyDelete