Friday, April 16, 2010

Dog Life

This week I started The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein, and the more I read, the more I like. When Bryant first showed me the book, I thought it was the most ridiculous idea ever - a novel from the perspective of a dog? As it turns out, this POV is the perfect device for commentary on human nature and society. The author also expertly implements witty humor and simple moments that only dogs take time to appreciate.

Because people generally speak freely around them, the result of this text is a 360 view of common family and personal problems. The dog, while unable to speak, tunes in very well to cues and undertones. Genius.

The text mentions tracks that I've either seen or heard about, which is very cool. And when the dog describes being in the car and the strategies of driving, I feel like I'm there too. =)

Storytelling and twisted humor at its finest! And I could totally see this happening to a shop dog, or child, at BMW:

"One tech guy in particular, Fenn... every time he walked by me he would ask: 'Are you done yet?' At first I had no idea what he was talking about, but I finally figured out that one of the shop's owners, Craig, spent most of his time asking if the techs were finished with their cars, and Fenn was just passing it down the line to the only one who ranks below him. Me."

No comments:

Post a Comment