Saturday, August 23, 2014

Personal Space (II)

Shortly after finishing my previous blog post, I shut my computer down and got all cozy in bed. I fell asleep promptly. Celine is coming over to my apartment tomorrow, and I'm pretty excited to have her over. No one in my family has seen my apartment in Seattle, so naturally I want it to be clean and fresh. I started cleaning after work on Friday already, and was planning to wake up a few hours early to finish cleaning Saturday morning.

After going out for dinner, I decided to stay home because I wanted to be rested so I could wake up and clean. After all, waking up before noon on a Saturday is a difficult and unusual task for me... and that's when I'm expecting Celine. So at 4 something in the morning, Matt and a friend come stumbling in making noises and talking loudly. I didn't know anyone was staying over, but fine whatever. It's not the first time. Matt comes into the bedroom and turns the light on to change. The light REALLY wakes me up. And I'm having a bizarre dream about JR having put Forrest into the washing machine for a bath. I'm slightly irritated but fine with it; I'm less irritated because I'm still trying to figure out why JR put Forrest in the washing machine. I get up to use the bathroom - oh no I can't because someone is in there. I wait a few minutes, and I really have to pee. He's still in there. I realize he's not coming out any time soon, so I have to use the bathroom in the lobby which is 3 floors down. I run down there to use it, run back up, and now I'm fucking wide awake. I toss and turn for an hour, and listen to puking sounds coming from the bathroom (that I just cleaned today, btw) angrily. Matt is passed out like a baby on the couch, the other one was sleeping on the toilet with the door open last time I checked, and no one turned any of the lights off.

So here I am, at 5:30 AM, unable to sleep. I'm getting up in a few hours to finish cleaning, and possibly to re-clean depending on the damage, and I am SO UNHAPPY. I recalled venting about room mate problems a few years ago via blog, so I looked up the old post. After reading through that, I've come to realize that I've made some progress in the past two years but not enough. For example, Matt now asks me 75% of the time before inviting people over, which is an improvement for sure. However, I think he should have given me some heads up that we were having a guest tonight, or known that maybe since I didn't go out with them maybe I didn't want to be waken up at 4:00 AM. And he knows that I use the restroom throughout the night. I think I've been too "cool" with everything up until now, and I'm paying the price.

And then there's the fact that I'd rather have our guest crash here drunk and causing a disturbance than driving home and getting a DUI. Obviously. And because I've made it clear that friends are welcome to crash here, I can't blame friends for doing so. Ultimately, I guess it's my fault. But this is fucking ridiculous. I can't sleep early and stay asleep in my own home, and I couldn't even use my own bathroom. This is so fucking ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment