Saturday, February 8, 2014

Seahawks, Superbowl, Supersonics, and the Olympics

Growing up, I remember watching Sunday night football with my dad. Or, rather, I remember trying to watch football with my dad but falling asleep to the games. I also remember when he took me to a 49ers game at Candlestick Park. It was cold, and it was against the Rams. I know for sure, because it was one of the few other teams that I could actually name. My dad was a 49ers fan, and I thought I was too. And then I moved to Seattle.

So aside from fond memories of spending time with my dad while he watched football, I never invested all that much thought in the game. I wasn't passionate about it, but if I was to choose a team I would certainly and naturally choose the 49ers. Through my first year in Seattle, surrounded by Seahawks fans, I had the opportunity to attend games and tailgate with friends. I had a BLAST! And over time, with each game I attended, I started to amass gifts of Seahawks paraphernalia that I accepted and honestly like. The colors are so pretty! Matt even bought me a Seahawks jersey at one of the games, and I never even had a 49ers jersey -- until he gave me one of those this past Christmas, of course. Up until this year, I was able to live in limbo and cheer for both teams. I was able to wear whatever jersey I wanted, so actually I would wear my Seahawks jersey when the Seahawks played (unless of course they were playing the 49ers). That's the way I liked it.

Then this huge NFC rivalry reared its ugly head. And I had to choose, so I chose to be a 49ers fan. Because even though I live in Seattle now, San Francisco is still home to me. It's where my family is and it's the city I'd choose if I could only pick one. But that's not what football is about, right? Football is about liking certain players and how they fit into their teams, and following the team you feel closest to or are drawn to. This season, because of fantasy football, I really started to understand and enjoy football as a game. I really liked the Seahawks as a team, and I do still really enjoy watching them play. But then there are people like Sean, who on multiple occasions told me I should "wear my own colors" so I felt like I wasn't allowed to be a Seahawks fan. The pain is real.

And so of course, after I decide I am a 49ers fan and want the Seahawks to lose... they beat the 49ers in the NFC championship, and then go on to win the Superbowl. And lucky me, living downtown and dating a serious Seahawks fan, I got to live through all of the celebration. And of course on Superbowl Sunday, Sean is yelling "F* the niners" at me. I'm kind of growing a thicker skin though, I don't get upset anymore. All of the screaming, and yelling, and bliss that Seahawks fans felt - yup I was amidst it all. I'm happy that my friends are happy, I suppose. I think identifying with two rival cities makes it too complicated for me. I walked up to the celebration parade this week during my lunch by myself, and I didn't wear my Seahawks jersey. Because even though Matt tells me to wear it, it feels wrong now. Seeing signs outside of businesses that say 49ers fans are not welcome... makes me angry. There were times leading up to the NFC championship game where I genuinely hated the unwelcoming Seattle fans and their "jokes". It was nice to experience a championship parade though, since I missed the San Francisco parades when they happened. I'm really relieved the football season is over, anyhow.

On a brighter note, I met an NBA player at work today! He was shockingly tall, and super nice. I mean, I know they have to be nice at PR events, but he was genuinely kind and personable. Awesome. I also got to watch the Sochi Olympic opening ceremony this evening. The Tweets surfacing over the past few days about how horrid Sochi hotel rooms and media accommodations had me laughing forever; I think my favorite picture is the bee in the honey packet. WHAT IN THE WORLD!? The opening ceremony was nice though, very ravey + Cirque Du Soleil. I really liked their EDM DJ! And I'm suuuuuper excited for some Olympic hockey in the days to come. U,S,A! U,S,A!


No comments:

Post a Comment