Sunday, May 29, 2011

Better Luck Next Year

With my personality, one of the things I've learned that I must be especially wary of is getting too attached or too emotionally invested in things. My newfound obsession with the Sharks, apparently, is no exception.

Hockey has certainly helped me grow as a person. I found more time to spend at home with my brother and my mom, instead of going out all of the time and drinking. This probably couldn't have been a better year to do it also, with my brother moving very recently. Through hockey my brother and I found a way to bond which has never happened before. We have no other hobbies in common. I also took the time to learn about the sport! Now I know what people are talking about when they discuss at least ONE sport.

This season has been an emotional roller coaster for me, but after every losing game there seemed to be a winning game not too far after. I really thought the Sharks could win the Stanley Cup, and I'm sad that they didn't. The elimination in the conference finals was devastating. I couldn't even talk to anyone the next day, it was reminiscent of darker days. The very last game was heartwrenching -- I went into the series fully aware that the Canucks could beat the Sharks. They're a fantastic team. But the way the Sharks were playing right before they got eliminated was enthralling! And so I had hope!

Unfortunately, it was too little too late. I still love the Sharks, and will follow closely next year. The let-down was shocking -- who knew I could care so much about sports? But in the end, it's probably a more healthy investment than other available options. Thank you Sharks for the wonderful season, and for laying it all out in the end. They DEFINITELY went out with a bang.

And lastly, the lighting and effects they use at HP Pavillion are amazing. Go technology! Last season, I was entranced by the montages. This season, I was in awe of the graphic projections. Who knows what will be in store for next year?!

1 comment: