Saturday, February 5, 2011

Good deeds, good health.

I feel like a million bucks.

This morning, Andy and I woke up at 7-something AM and dragged our asses to volunteer at the Edgewood Center for Children and Families. I remembered, painfully, how much I do NOT miss waking up before 9:00AM on Saturdays. This was my first time doing volunteer work voluntarily (other times I've volunteered for events were actually requirements for clubs in high school) and I think it was long overdue. Though I'm not entirely to blame - I wanted to volunteer before but I used to work Saturdays at BMW!

Anyhoo, the Edgewood Center is a system for abused/troubled adolescents and they offer a plethora of supportive/reformative services. The organization is celebrating 160 years of service, and it was a great feeling to know that I participated in such a well-established, life changing program. The work was much less labor-intensive than I'd expected - I had anticipated an assembly-line type setup. But actually, we were split up amongst cottages so I only worked with Andy and another lady volunteer. We had a big, sunny kitchen to ourselves where we prepared eggs, hash browns, toast and fruit for breakfast.

I had quite an outstanding time preparing the oranges and toasting the toast. In fact, I can't think of any better way to have spent this Saturday morning! When breakfast was served, we were encouraged to interact with the children. This was a new kind of social interaction for me (children), and I didn't know how to connect on their level. One of them though, was pretty excited to tell me about the Tony Hawk game and Karate Kid 3 - neither of which I know anything about. He also told me that I look like a snowboarder girl. It was certainly an interesting conversation, if not a successful one?

I'm going back when my schedule permits, it was an incredible experience and I'm glad I could spare a few hours of my time to help disadvantaged children.

Also, I went to the doctor yesterday and got my annual check up - everything is all good in the hood (although I have been feeling a strange numbness or poor circulation in my feet). And speaking of hoods, Klaus also went to the doctor yesterday and got his 15k service. He too is all good in the hood. We're all good. In the hood.

I must say, this New Year, and also Chinese New Year have both gotten off to a spectacular start.

No comments:

Post a Comment