Saturday, January 22, 2011

Dealing with Deceit

I've been watching Lie to Me, the series about lie detection and the like. At first I thought it was really interesting, and I was drawn to the concept because I felt like I would become better at figuring out when people are lying. The trouble with that is, I do have instincts and I generally don't trust them - I think the ratio is about 50/50 for that being a good or bad thing. However, after finishing the first season, maybe this series is just making me more paranoid. I already have unsettled trust issues, and I think I've good reason to justify that. And some people tell me to trust my intuition, while others tell me to drop the inhibitions to give everyone a chance. All I know for sure is that I've played with fire too many times.

The show brings up deeply-seeded feelings of empathy for the people who are deceived, betrayed, torn apart and devastated. I've been in or damn near tears with this series much moreso than any others -- I can't tell if this is healthy for me or not but after the developments of recent years, of this I am sure: I would rather not love at all, than love and fall. And I thought of that all by myself during a conversation with Chad - yeah, we were pretty impressed too.

No comments:

Post a Comment